Last updated on October 30th, 2021
About Our Reviews
Sleepyhood.com is a team of consumer advocates committed to bringing you accurate, non-biased reviews on all sleep products. We’ve spent countless hours researching and testing dozens of bamboo pillows. We’ve also analyzed customer satisfaction insights from thousands of verified buyers.
Our research efforts are funded by making a commission on any products you choose to buy through our website links.
In a Hurry? Check out the Editor’s Choice: Coop Home Goods
Buying a new pillow can feel like a very involved and stressful process when you start digging into your options. You want to make sure you buy the right one for you.The correct pillow can transform how you feel when you wake in the morning.
The latest trend in restful nights involves two of the hottest products on the market: bamboo and memory foam. The combination of a high-quality bamboo cover with the comfort of memory foam makes the perfect bamboo pillow for any sleeper.
We’ve put together a compilation of the best bamboo pillows. In this article, we’ll review the top bestsellers and share our findings. We will also go into the details and considerations to keep in mind when shopping for a bamboo pillow.
- Top 6 Bamboo Pillow Reviews
- Why Choose a Bamboo Pillow?
- Types of Bamboo Pillows
- Bamboo Pillows & Sleeping Positions
- Considerations When Shopping For a Bamboo Pillow
- Final Thoughts
Top 6 Bamboo Pillow Reviews
Coop Home Goods — Editor’s Choice
Coop Home Goods is the editor’s choice due to adjustability, quality and price. A zipper in the pillow casing allows you to customize this bamboo pillow to best fit your sleeping style. Additionally, this pilow is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
You can remove the shredded memory foam to adjust the thickness of the pillow. Crafted from a high-quality propriety foam blend, the Coop Home Goods Pillow is a durable pillow at an affordable price.
- Fully adjustable for all sleep positions.
- Shredded memory foam offers consistent support.
- Hypoallergenic materials protect you from dust mites.
- Blended cover of 60% bamboo and 40% polyester is soft, durable and washable.
- 100 day no-questions asked guarantee offers a full refund if you aren’t satisfied.
- Once you remove the interior filling, you must keep it in a container to readjust the pillow to a thicker or firmer consistency.
- If you remove too much filling, the pillow may feel soft but offer little support.
Xtreme Comforts — Runner Up
Waking up with your pillow pushed to the side is a good indication that it is too bulky and thick.
Stomach sleepers require thin pillows to properly align the neck and head for a good night’s sleep. Two inches thinner than most pillows, the Slim Sleeper by Xtreme Comforts is the best bamboo pillow for stomach sleepers and smaller individuals. It has a thinner profile than traditional models that you see on TV, but still contains the same premium quality shredded memory foam.
Although this pillow is thinner, it is not flat. The CertiPUR-US Certified Foam provide the support you need night after night.
- Ideal for children and stomach sleepers who require a thinner pillow.
- High-quality memory foam is healthy and safe for the entire family.
- Made in the USA to meet high quality standards.
- Kool-Flow bamboo cover is cool, breathable and machine washable.
- Hypo-allergenic to resist dust mites.
- Only offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Some users still find it to be too high and firm for stomach sleeping.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo — High-End Choice
If you’ve struggled with pillows going flat during the night, the Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Pillow features an Eco-Friendly Biogreen memory foam that reportedly never goes flat. It features a patented Kool-Flow technology and a micro-vented cover to help keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
This is an excellent all-around bamboo pillow which provides orthopedic neck support for every sleeping position. You can adjust the loft for sleeping on your stomach, side or back.
With this CertiPUR-US certified foam, you don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals or VOC emissions. It won’t require an airing out period – you can use it immediately. A side zipper allows you remove and add shredded memory foam to customize the thickness and softness of the pillow to best fit your needs.
- Fully adjustable for all back, side and stomach sleepers.
- No waiting for the traditional memory foam smell to disappear.
- Made in the USA from eco-friendly materials.
- The Kool Flow Micro-Vented bamboo cover keeps you cool at night.
- 120 day money-back guarantee and 20-year warranty protects your investment.
- Slightly firmer and heavier than other bamboo pillows
- Higher quality materials and warranty add up to a higher price
Hotel Comfort Bamboo — Best Value
Larger than a traditional size pillow, the queen-sized Hotel Comfort Bamboo Pillow offers the best value to consumers looking for a reliable pillow that lasts. It is made out of 40% bamboo and 60% polyester. It has a memory foam shredded fill and soft cover. And It is dust mite resistant and it’s unlikely to cause any allergic reaction.
The unique design is made to offer medium support and mold easily to your body. The shredded memory foam is sandwiched between transition foam. The result is a smooth pillow offering the ideal support for back and side sleepers.
- Feels more like a traditional pillow.
- Interlocking shredded memory foam does not shift or become clumped.
- CertiPUR-US foam is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
- Blended bamboo cover is moisture wicking and stays cool throughout the night.
- Oversized to fit a queen or king bed.
- May be too large for small-framed bodies.
- Cannot be adjusted to fit sleeping position or comfort level.
Original Bamboo — Stomach Sleepers
Original Bamboo pillows are a budget-friendly option for those looking to purchase multiple pillows.
At 16 inches by 12 inches, the bamboo pillow is slightly longer than it is wide. It will fit into a standard pillowcase sham, but you won’t need one. It has better airflow which can help your pillow to feel better. Their adjustability allows you to customize each pillow to fit each sleeper perfectly.
The SmartSOFT shredded foam can easily be removed through a hidden side zipper. The soft memory foam completely adapts to your body, giving you the support you need for a good night’s sleep. Back, side and stomach sleepers can all find comfort with this affordable bamboo pillow.
- Hypoallergenic bamboo pillow case increases the pillow’s breathability and ventilation
- High-quality foam does not go flat with time and use
- Queen size is large to fit your comfort and design needs
- Can be adjusted for back, side and stomach sleepers
- Budget-friendly cost offers affordability
- Case is not removable for easy washing
- May be considered too firm for many sleepers
Snuggle-Pedic Body Pillow — Body Pillow
This bamboo pillow has been rated #1 body pillow by ConsumerSearch and The Wirecutter. Snuggle-Pedic’s proprietary shredded shredded foam mix provides proper orthopedic support and it’s great for combination sleepers as it adjusts to each sleep position.
This pillows is made of 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra. Its composition makes it extra breathable while being hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. It’s and easy to care for item as it’s fully washable.
Lastly, this pillow is fully made in the U.S. and most buyers are satisfied with its customer service.
- Perfect for side, stomach and pregnant sleepers
- Can be used in combination with a neck pillow
- 120-Night love it or send it back policy
- Mostly great for large people
- Once fluffed it can get too thick
Why Choose a Bamboo Pillow?
The plush softness of a bamboo pillow cover creates a luxurious experience. There are many reasons to choose a bamboo pillow, including:
- Naturally Antimicrobial and Hypoallergenic – Bamboo is unique in being a healthy alternative for those worried about bacteria and allergens.
- Highly Absorbent – The natural fibers of bamboo are highly absorbent to create a comfortable night’s sleep.
- Thick and Cool Cover – Bamboo pillow covers are soft and thick yet offer a high level of breathability. When combined with venting technology, they keep cool even on the warmest nights.
- Retains Shape – Bamboo pillows featuring a memory foam interior don’t require constant fluffing. The foam naturally expands to the original shape.
- Durable and Easy to Clean – As a natural material, bamboo does not require special cleaning techniques. Removable bamboo covers allow you to safely and easily wash your pillow covers.
Types of Bamboo Pillows
Bamboo is plentiful and fast-growing, this is a big reason it has a small environmental footprint. But the raw product is naturally rigid and rough, the manufacturing procedure is labor-intensive and requires a complex process to create the types of finished items worth selling.
All-Natural Bamboo Pillows
Bamboo pillows are generally made from all-natural eco-friendly bamboo pulp. These fully-organic bamboo pillows are spongier than cotton and stay fresh on hot humid summer nights. The inner material maintains the soft cushioning and comfort, without hardening up over time. Its the latest form of fabric stronger than silk. Because of the inherent nature of bamboo, these pillows dont retain heat and need no readjusting. The process entails resourcing bamboo plants into a hard-wearing form that generate a hypoallergenic material resisting dust mites.
Semi-Synthetic Viscose Rayon Pillow
Bamboo, still in the shape of an innate pulp, is organic and sustainable. As the pulp is being pressed, a range of chemicals and bleaches are included, causing the end result to be categorized as a semi-synthetic material. Its not totally from nature, but not entirely made by chemical synthesis. To produce viscose rayon yarn, the bamboo plant is steamed, mashed, dipped in sodium hydroxide. Next, the pulp cellulose is driven through a sieve-like implement that hardens the pulp for spinning into thread, then into yarn fabrics.
Bamboo Pillows & Sleeping Positions
One of the main reasons bamboo pillows offer comfortable support during the night is the addition of memory foam. Shredded memory foam provides increased contouring and reduced pressure points for your head and neck. Unlike the traditional solid memory foam pillows, bamboo pillows with shredded foam have a softer feel with increased airflow.
Both back sleepers and side sleepers benefit from using bamboo pillows. Available in varying levels of support and thickness, all you need to do is choose the ideal level pillow for your preferred sleeping position.
- Side sleeping requires a thick, firm pillow that fills the space between the mattress and your head, offering the highest level of support for spinal alignment.
- Back sleeping usually works best with a medium thickness pillow. Too soft a pillow becomes flat during the night, while a pillow that is too firm causes stiffness and pain.
- Stomach sleeping pillows should be soft and thinner than traditional pillows. Too thick a pillow will strain the neck during the night.
Considerations When Shopping For a Bamboo Pillow
With so many bamboo pillows on the market, choosing just one can become a huge task. Narrow the choices down to the best bamboo pillow for you using the following considerations:
Being able to adjust the shredded memory foam filling to best fit your needs is a huge advantage. You can customize the pillow to fit your sleep position and body size.
Most people recommend fitting your pillow to your bed: standard pillow for a double or twin, queen size for a queen and king size for a king.
Lifespan and Warranty
A good quality option should last for years, especially if taken care of properly. Ideally, a top quality product will retain its shape and comfort for at least the warranty period. One thing that helps these last longer than a standard memory foam pillow is the shredded that can be adjusted and fluffed.
Type of Foam
Look for environmentally-friendly pillows featuring certified memory foam. This reduces the use of chemicals and toxic VOCs. CertiPUR-US certified foam is the standard for high quality, safe memory foam.
Size of Foam
It isn’t just the type of foam that matters, the shred size can change the pillow as well. Small pieces of foam produce a heavier, firmer pillow. Large pieces create a lighter, softer pillow. A combination of the two can produce a supportive pillow with a soft feeling.
A high-quality, removable bamboo cover allows you remove the outer layer for easy cleaning. A clean bamboo pillow cover will be softer, offer better breathability and wick away moisture to keep you comfortable all night long.
The cheapest pillows usually offer a lower grade foam and no adjustability. The savings usually aren’t worth the cheap quality. However, there are many affordable bamboo pillows available with adjustability, certified eco-friendly foam and luxurious bamboo covers.
What is a Bamboo Pillow?
It may seem like a bamboo pillow should be made entirely of bamboo, but it isn’t. Bamboo pillows are a type of pillow featuring high-quality cases made from bamboo. Also known as viscose rayon, most bamboo pillow cases are a combination of bamboo, polyester and other fibers. The combination of a high-quality bamboo pillow case with the advantages of memory foam creates the perfect pillow for comfort and support. Memory foam is known for trapping your body heat, causing you to become hot and sweaty during the night. The breathability of bamboo fabric helps prevent the collection of heat. Bamboo pillows are a cooler memory foam pillow option for a better night’s sleep.
What Are Bamboo Pillows Made Of?
Bamboo fabric is the perfect choice for a smooth, cool pillowcase. The best bamboo pillows are made from eco-friendly bamboo fibers. From sustainable and eco-friendly bamboo plants, bamboo fibers are typically combined with other materials to create a soft, breathable fabric. Providing ventilation and a high level of moisture wicking, bamboo pillow cases keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
How to Wash a Bamboo Pillow
Bamboo pillows are extremely durable and hypoallergenic. However, they require regular cleaning just like traditional pillows. Regular washing keeps your skin healthy and your pillows looking fresh.
- To wash the cover – The best bamboo pillows feature bamboo fabric covers that can be easily removed and washed. Simply take the cover off and wash in your machine using the gentle cycle. You can either air dry the cover or place in the dryer on a low heat setting.
- To wash the shredded memory foam pillow – The safest way to wash a memory foam pillow is to first remove the cover. Take a damp cloth and clean the surface of the pillow. Avoid soaking the memory foam filling. Allow to air dry.
How to Fluff a Bamboo Pillow?
Many bamboo pillows with shredded memory foam are shipped in a compact box. Many are even tightly rolled and shrink wrapped. High-quality memory foam can take between 24 to 48 hours to reach its full height after being compressed for shipping. It can be frustrating because you want to try out your new pillow as soon as possible. You can speed the process up with a simple trick. Many manufacturers recommend placing the pillow in the dryer for 10 to 15 minutes on low heat to fluff a bamboo pillow.
Bamboo pillows provide an upgraded sleep experience. The soft cover may seem like simply a luxury, but the support of shredded memory foam will improve the quality of your sleep. No matter which position you choose – back, side or stomach – there is a bamboo pillow perfectly customizable to your needs. It may seem simple, but with a bamboo pillow you will say goodbye to a stiff neck and take back your mornings.
More Pillow Resources
If you are interested in learning more about different pillow materials and pillow options for different sleepers, feel free to read these resources: